Wednesday, July 11, 2012

DIY Neon Statement Necklace!

If you're like me, you've seen tons of gorgeous neon jewelry pieces, but sometimes they aren't necessarily in your budget. This necklace via Bauble Bar is totally gorgeous.... 

But $300 is way out of my price range. As a college student always on a budget, I thought I could come up with something similar for a lot less! Here's how: 

I picked this necklace up for $5 at Charlotte Russe. They don't have a ton of jewelry online, but in stores all jewelry is $5!! Check out some local thrift stores, or options: 1|2

I bought some neon-yellow nail polish from Icing {about $4} but any brand will do. Because the pieces on this necklace are not clear, but have a taupe-tinge to them, I painted about 12 coats on. That seems like a lot, but it really depends on what necklace you pick up! Make sure the coats dry before painting another one, or you'll have funny globs or weird lines! I'm sure it would take less coats if the stones you're painting on are clear. 

Make sure to let it dry overnight! If you do more than a few coats it's best to give it ample time to dry. I took this picture at night so it doesn't appear as bright, but it's for sure a statement! 

And voila! This was a super easy project, and fun to do! If you have a little time and want your own fun statement piece, definitely try this out! It would be fun to experiment with different colors too I think! If any of you make one, let me know how it turns out. I'd love to see pictures!

Happy crafting and happy Wednesday!

.....





5 comments:

  1. SO COOL, Lexi!! oh my gosh! i would never think to do that. it looks amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! You have to be creative on a budget ;)

      Delete
  2. That looks so amazing!
    I definitely need to give that a try, especially since I have a Charlotte Russe outlet in my mall. (:

    -Alonna
    lonnaliz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should it's fun and you can be totally creative with how much or little neon you want!

      Delete
  3. Great post!
    Kristen @ mikieandkristen.blogspt.com

    ReplyDelete